Wednesday, June 5, 2019

new scenery in the "Index Loop"

There's a place near Mt. Index, where the BN mainline passes through the town of Index, WA, on a 180+ degree curve which I call the "Index loop". I didn't have room for the town, but needed a 180 degree turn at that spot on the layout, just before reaching Skykomish, so my son painted Mt. Index on the backdrop there and we called it the Index loop. I roughed in some foam scenery there in about 2004 and never got around to finishing it, until this week. Instead of the town, I put in a section house (that came from JJ Johnson's layout originally) and a stream bed that I suppose should be called the North Fork of the Skykomish river. But I would rather call it "Troublesome Creek", which flows into the North Fork just upriver from there. What you see below is just the first layer of "zip texturing", done by sprinkling dirt, grass and twigs over wet latex earth colored paint, applied directly over carved extruded insulation foam. The service road next to the section house will get paved with gravel, the creek will get a creek bed, and more trees will be planted after the mainline here is ballasted. Here is the new scenery so far:








No comments:

Post a Comment