Friday, May 22, 2020

stabilizing videos using a hand-held gimbal

I recently purchased an OSMO Mobile 3 hand-held cellphone holder for shooting videos more steadily. The first video I made using it is posted on YouTube here. I'm not sure how it works, but it has battery powered coreless motors that keep the cellphone steady while you are moving around, say, the train layout following a train. It also has software that takes over your cellphone's camera and uses artificial intelligence to lock onto and track moving targets at your command. This can be nice for following specific moving or stationary features as you move around.

The main thing it accomplishes (in addition to giving you another maddening technology-related learning curve to climb up) is to slow you down while you are taking video, so the result is less jerky. I tend to take video like a jack-rabbit: Look at this, oh, now see how it's going over the bridge, oh, look at that grade crossing we need to blow for. As soon as I think of something you might like to see, I shift the camera over in that direction right away. This leads to headaches and dizziness on the part of the viewer. The Gimbal device forces you to shift your viewing angle gradually. I'm finding it to be a learned skill that I can only hope I will acquire with more use.

The reason I got into this was the proliferation of Zoom meetings that are replacing live model railroad gatherings and open houses. The thought was that giving a live layout tour would be better if a gimbal was coming in between me and my cellphone. We will see. If you look at my first effort, on my YouTube channel (linked above), you will find it, frankly, boring. Adding more plot and excitement are my next goals.

One more technical point - the OSMO takes over the cellphone's camera software to allow you to use the cool auto-tracking artificial intelligence features, use a zoom button, etc. But when you log into a Zoom meeting with your cellphone, Zoom also takes over and disables most of what your cellphone camera can do. This means that if you use an OSMO to steady your cellphone while doing a live layout tour in a Zoom meeting, all it will be doing is help steady your hand. None of the other features will work. If you want to use the other features, you have to shoot video clips, and edit them into a movie, and then post that on YouTube or run it on your computer while logged into the Zoom meeting. There also is some debate at these Zoom meetings about how effective it is or is not to show streaming video on your computer to a streaming Zoom audience - it is basically double-streaming. Which may not be that great for resolution or refresh rate. We are all learning as we go, how to share our model railroading hobby with each other during the Covid pandemic.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday at the Railway Modellers' Meet, Burr!

    ReplyDelete