Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Playing at the turntable

 














A picture is worth a thousand words, right? The turntable in Everett needs to be ballasted and weathered, but what the heck, I spent an hour today just playing with it. Putting away a few locomotives that were blocking the turntable lead track, and such. The stock Walthers motorized turntable worked flawlessly. Once it was done, I had to take this picture. You'll notice that everything is in focus - this is the result of a software program called Helicon Focus, which merges multiple images of the same scene with different parts of the scene in focus, into one image, such as you see here. It's quite quick and easy to do. I propped up my iPhone on a nearby steady surface and focused on each engine in turn, taking 7 photos altogether. This is the resulting merged photo.

Of course, a "real" turntable would have some empty tracks ready for the next inbound engine, right? Also, since I'm supposed to be modeling the BN in about 1973 after the merger, can you see which engine is not supposed to be there? Only the hard core railfans will be able to tell. And I'm not talking about the two GN GP's that haven't been renumbered yet, either (911 and 710). I'll get to that eventually.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy looking at this picture as much as I do! :) Model railroading, at its deepest down core, is about locomotion. Serious locomotion.


1 comment:

  1. A turntable is a better toy than a locomotive because it enhances your whole fleet!

    ReplyDelete