Saturday, January 8, 2022

Covering up a hideous wire run

If you finally get around to doing something that's been on your do list for at least 20 years, is that something to feel good about, or ashamed? I can't decide - I feel both. I guess it depends on how important the thing was. In this case, almost all of the layout track power wires were fed up to the ceiling joists and out to the rest of the layout from my centrally located DCC layout control system, next to a post, out in the open. They always needed some kind of a cover to hide them from view, but I never seemed to get around to devising one. Here's a picture of what it looked like, over on the right hand side of the photo:



It started bothering me more when I started publishing YouTube videos of the layout and the vertical column of tangled wires really disrupted the views of the otherwise nice (or at least acceptable) scenery. Then, as discussed in my previous post, we started installing an upper deck in the same area. This meant that the mess of wires would be an eyesore on both decks. Somehow, I couldn't live with it anymore. So, the fix is now designed and in progress. Help is on the way. We devised a plan to attach two inward-facing "C" aluminum channels at the corners of the post, and slide pieces of styrene between them, covering up the wires. Here's what it looks like now (with the upper deck temporarily removed):















Such an improvement! The next step will be to paint the whole thing with white primer and then sky blue, followed by scenic treatment such as trees and bushes. Then you'll never even know all those wires are in there. And if I need to add wires, it is easy to slide out the two styrene panels if needed for access (assuming I keep from sticking them together with paint). Progress!

Incidentally, the small maroon red box dangling to the left of the column is the transceiver for the BLI "Rolling Thunder" subwoofer system which needed relocating to accomplish this project. But the cable (in yellow) they provided literally fell apart when I went to relocate it, it was so cheaply made. So now I'm now hunting for a better cable, and hoping the system will work again. I don't use it very often though, because the low-frequency rumble that it generates makes the entire house shake, not just the train room. Probably an example of "too much of a good thing." Also, did I mention that the (exclusively) BLI decoders that work with it don't follow NMRA standards and are difficult to understand how to program? Don't get me started. I have only two BLI locomotives that work with it, and have no intention of ever acquiring any more. But at least BLI got me to mention them four times in one paragraph! I'll give them that.


No comments:

Post a Comment