Friday, February 10, 2023

Adding "just one more" caboose to the roster

 












One of the advantages of, if not the point of, modeling the BN in 1973 is that you need a caboose on almost every train. So, in addition to hundreds of different models and paint schemes of locomotives to collect, there are a lot of caboose variations. I started out collecting your basic Athearn and Atlas models and pretty soon I had more than enough cabooses (not to mention staging tracks) to run a typical day's worth of 15 or so trains. So I thought I was done. But then I started finding out about brass caboose models being a thing, and started collecting them from random swap meets and retailers. So my caboose fleet doubled and I had accumulated way more than more than enough. One project finished! (like, 30, which really seems like enough!)

But you know where this is going. Last year Division Point decided to import a run of the ex-GN X-1 series cabooses, some of the weirdest-looking cabooses ever, and to make some in BN paint!! I already had an older brass model of GN X-1 in bright red paint, but this just seemed too good to pass up. So, now I am officially finished collecting cabooses. For the second or third time. The picture above shows how good (and unusual) it looks, and I also posted a couple of short videos of it here and here.

There's only one caboose model that I still don't have and really want to, which is that NP one with the super-high straight cupola. I've seen unpainted brass models of it but never one decorated for BN, even though I know that some of them survived post-merger. If you see one of those, get it for me or let me know about it. Otherwise, I'm DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment